March 6, 2024 In Estate Planning

Changing your address or contact information while your case is on-going

These days, almost all courts in Texas file and deliver documents electronically.  This is why it’s important for the court to have your current contact information.  If, for example, you change you address, phone number, or email address then you need to notify the court that this information has changed.  Although most courts send just about everything out via email, there are some times when Courts courts will send notices via regular U.S. mail.  Denton County and Collin County often sends hard notices directly in the mail and not necessarily via the e-service system.  And if the court does not have your current information, you may not find out that your case just got dismissed or is about to get dismissed because you did not update the court with your current information.

Updating this information is relatively easy. It involves filing a simple pleading (document) called a “notice of change of address” or “notice of change in phone number” or “notice of change of contact information”.  In the pleading, put the case caption information, including the cause number and the court number, and in the body of the document notify the clerk of the court and all other parties of your updated information.  After you prepare the pleading, e-file the pleading through the court’s e-filing system.  After that, check to make sure your notice was accepted by the court and you should see that the information for your case has been corrected.

Comment (1)

travel advice

Mar 3, 2024, 9:38 am

Excellent post however , I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this topic?
I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more.

Appreciate it!


Leave a Reply