Physical Custody

What Is Physical Custody?

Physical custody means physical possession and control of a child. In child custody law, Texas divides child custody into two types: physical custody (or possession) and legal custody. Again, physical custody is exactly what it sounds like – it is the parent who has physical control over their children; this includes where the child lives. The parent who is granted physical custody is considered the primary custody parent (or holder) of the child. For this reason, courts take granting something of this nature extremely seriously and are extremely thorough in evaluating each parent to ensure that they are deemed acceptable.

How Can I Get Physical Custody Of My Child?

Factors that the court will consider:

  • Emotional and financial stability of the parent
  • The relationship between the parent and the child
  • The history of the parent in their role as a parental figure
  • The wishes of both parents and child

By considering all of these different factors – and other concerns – the court will make a decision to protect the best interest of the child. If you want to protect the physical possession and custody of your child, contact a child custody lawyer at the Engel Law Group, P.S., to help you establish your case.

Let Us Fight For Your Family. Contact Engel Law Group, P.S.

The trend these days is to award joint physical custody because studies show children benefit from having contact with both parents. If you are currently interested in fighting for physical custody (sole custody or joint) you can trust that a Dallas family law lawyer from Engel Law Group, P.S., will have the knowledge and resources to protect your rights. We are here to help, so contact us to learn more about your legal options with our team. With an unwavering dedication to the success of our clients, you can have peace of mind knowing that our firm will stop at nothing in our efforts to help you.

Contact us today by email or call us at 214-915-2205 to schedule an initial case consultation with our firm if you need help ensuring access to your children.